WHAT IS DENTAL CROWN?
Dental crown also known as dental cap is a fixed prosthesis that cover the upper part (crown portion of the tooth) of a natural tooth. Dental crowns is one of the most common treatments to protect the tooth from fracture after root canal treatment or as a replacement of large fillings. The cap is a replica of that particular tooth which is begin replaced to restore the shape of that tooth in size, appearance and improves the strength of the tooth. Whether you need a cap or not only your dentist can suggest you better.
WHEN YOU NEED DENTAL CROWN?
Your dentist can be the better judge whether to place a cap or not because restoring a tooth with cap involves a large amount of loss of natural tooth structure. Some of the common reasons are listed here :
- A large tooth decay which cannot be treated with a filling where walls of the tooth are lost in dental decay.
- A severely cracked or fractured tooth, which needs extra support to stay together.
- After root canal treatment.
- Excessively worn out teeth to half of its original heights (caused by tooth grinding or acid reflex, acidic diet)
- To fill the interdental gaps due to gum recession or boy defects or spacing present in between the teeths.
- To cover a tooth implant.
- Cosmetic reasons, when a tooth is severely discolored or misshaped.
What are Dental Bridges ?
Dental bridges are fixed restorative treatment for the missing teeth. The procedure involves a dental prosthesis which is made of two dental crowns and one or more pontic crown. The teeth adjacent to the missing tooth are called as abutment and they are used as a pillar for the bridge . The abutment teeth care covered with caps and the filler tooth which is made in place of missing teeth is called as pontic, joins the abutment caps on both the sides. The pontic cap hangs between the adjacent abutment crown. Brides can be used to replace single missing tooth or multiple missing teeth. Your dentist can be the best judge.
Benefits of Dental Crowns & Bridges:
- Quick, cheap and fixed procedure to get fixed missing tooth replacement.
- Suitable for all age of patients with good condition of adjacent tooth.
- All most Natural appearance ( Depends upon the type of crown or bridges you wear).
- Improves Chewing efficiency and improves Looks.
- Prevent the teeth from drifting from its original position.
- Less invasive and cheaper than the dental implants.
- As dental bridges are fixed, you don’t need worry about its cleaning.
- Cost effective and less expensive in comparison to the dental implants.
Contact us today to learn more about dental crowns & bridges in and how they can help restore your smile.
Types Of Caps ?
Caps can be made of different materials. The vary in the quality of metal or ceramic used to manufacture them.
Basically Three types of caps are present .
- Metal caps : As the name suggest they are made of nickle metal. They are strong ,resistant to wear force or fracture and corrosion resistant but the only drawback they carry is their look. they look like stainless steel and shine like them so can’t be places in the visible portion of smile.
- PFM Caps : The are Porcelain fused with metal. In these caps The core is made of nickle metal to provide the strength to the cap and they are coated with porcelain or ceramic for aesthetic reasons. They look like almost to your adjacent tooth and are not easily distinguishable from adjoining teeth.
- Full Ceramic Crowns : These are latest materials which shows excellent strength and awesome aesthetics. They are completely free of metal and are long lasting and also gingival friendly so no gaps appears even after several years or color change in gums occurs.